Thyroidectomy is a surgical process done to remove certain or all parts of the entire thyroid gland. The surgery is done to treat diseases to thyroid gland and thyroid cancer.
The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located near the bottom of the neck. These glands are responsible for the hormone responsible for metabolism and burning calories. The pituitary gland in the brain sends signals to these glands to control hormone production accordingly.
What Symptoms Should I Watch Out For?
What are the risk factors?
● Excessive bleeding
● Loss of voice or changes in the voice tone (hoarseness)
● Scaring or damaging the adjacent tissues
● Damaging the nearby organs like the oesophagus or trachea
● RIsk of hypothyroidism Savaikar Hospital provides the best care and treatment for thyroid. With experienced staff and well-equipped setups, patients' health well-being is our ultimate priority and concern.
Thyroidectomy is the best option to treat thyroid cancer. When the thyroid glands develop cancer, it's advised to remove them completely to avoid them from spreading to other tissues.
Goitre or non-cancerous enlargement of the thyroid glands
Even though it is non-cancerous, sometimes the enlargement makes it difficult for the patients to swallow, eat or talk. Goitre can also develop into hyperthyroidism in future.
Hyperthyroidism or Overactive thyroid
Hyperthyroidism results from the overproduction of thyroid hormones (thyroxine). Patients are recommended to undergo thyroidectomy if they have difficulties taking anti-thyroid drugs or undergoing radiotherapy.
While the thyroid nodules may not show any cancer symptoms, they are at potential risk of developing into thyroid cancer in future.
The patient undergoes general anaesthesia (put to sleep) to avoid pain or involuntary movement during surgery.
- Once unconscious, a small incision is made on the base of the neck. Usually along the skin crease to avoid scars visibility after recovery.
- The doctor then removes the affected part or all parts of the thyroid gland.
The surgery takes around 1 to 2 hours. The patient can eat and drink normally after the surgery. But it's better to refrain from tedious daily activities for 8 -10 days until the scar is completely healed.
Once operated on, the patients are monitored overnight and are discharged the next day. The doctors also prescribe thyroid medicine to maintain body metabolism.
Savaikar Hospital provides the best care and treatment for thyroid. With experienced staff and well-equipped setups, patients' health well-being is our ultimate priority and concern.